What is Invisalign®?
At the Hugo Madeira Clinic, orthodontic treatment can be carried out with clear aligners as an alternative to conventional fixed braces.
Invisalign® has treated more than 14 million patients worldwide. And, given its proven efficacy through studies already conducted, it is the brand we have chosen for discreetly aligning our patients’ teeth.
Treatment with Invisalign® consists of wearing clear aligners sequentially for at least 20 hours a day. Each aligner is exchanged every 8-15 days for the next until the teeth are in the desired position. The aligners are only removed during meals and for oral hygiene.
One solution for several problems
Invisalign® is a transparent aligner that can resolve many problems of misaligned teeth. Here are some examples:
- Crowded teeth – “overhanging” teeth, which do not fit together generally due to lack of space in the jawbone;
- Diastema — spaces between the teeth, usually at the front;
- Crossbite — upper and lower jaws misaligned;
- Open bite — when the teeth of the upper and lower arches do not touch;
- Prognathism — when the teeth of the lower arch exceed the front teeth of the upper arch;
- Overbite — upper front teeth overlapping the lower front teeth;
- Teeth with slight irregularities.
Advantages of the Invisalign®
If we have chosen to offer this solution, it is because it naturally has favourable properties for our patients, such as:
- More widely spaced check-up appointments;
- No emergency appointments;
- More discreet and aesthetic compared to conventional orthodontic braces;
- Unrestricted diet;
- Easier oral hygiene;
- No medical restrictions in cases such as magnetic resonance imaging;
- Possibility of carrying out the treatment remotely via teleconsultation;
- Allows other treatments to be carried out at the same time – such as dental implants, whitening, restorations, etc. – reducing the total treatment time; —, reducing the total treatment time;
- You can enjoy your smile while undergoing treatment.
Step-by-step treatment with Invisalign®
- Orthodontic study
The orthodontic team carries out the case study, including the photographic protocol, radiographs, and intraoral scan with the iTero® system for diagnostics and treatment planning.
- Digital planning
Using the ClinCheck® digital software, the patient’s smile is studied and designed in order to plan the treatment as accurately as possible.
Even before treatment begins, the patient has a concrete idea of the final result of their smile, digitally designed in 3D.
- Beginning treatment
Approximately one month after the study, orthodontic treatment begins. The patient receives the Invisalign® kit and the corresponding aligners on this day.
This appointment lasts approximately 45 minutes and provides guidance and clarification on the use and care to be taken during treatment.
Sometimes, it is necessary to add anchorage aids along with the use of Invisalign®. Microimplants, buttons, elastics and distalisers are some examples of these aids.
The attachments, which are tooth-coloured composite pieces, are then cemented. The attachments provide anchorage to the appliance, and their shape varies with the required movement.
- Follow-up appointments
Throughout the treatment, check-ups are held every 8 to 10 weeks. Using the ClinCheck® software is the best way to assess whether treatment is progressing as planned.
At these appointments, the patient is also given the necessary aligners until their next appointment. If patients live abroad, check-ups can be carried out up to 12 weeks apart, depending on the case’s complexity.
Throughout the treatment, each team member accompanies the patient to meet the needs that arise at any moment.
At the end of the treatment, the patient returns every 6 months to have a check-up on the retainer – an appliance used to maintain the results obtained during treatment – and an oral hygiene appointment.
Invisalign® at Hugo Madeira Clinic
At Hugo Madeira Clinic, we don’t like to leave anything to chance. We equip ourselves with the best tools and professionals to give you the most fantastic smile.
Experience and demand
The dentist’s experience performing the orthodontic treatment is the key to the success of your smile. At Hugo Madeira Clinic, you will find an orthodontic team led by the experienced Dr Isabel Jorge — Invisalign® Provider Diamond Elite — and the use of the highest technology. This guarantees the highest quality of treatment and the demands with which we work.
Technology and the finest brands
Whether with Invisalign® or a fixed appliance, the study of your treatment plan is entirely digital. With no need for unwanted conventional moulds, all impressions of your teeth are taken using the iTero® digital scanner, increasing the accuracy of your results and improving your comfort.
Combining the quality of the Invisalign® brand with the latest technology and the experience of our team, it is possible to predict the effectiveness of each movement.
At the Hugo Madeira Clinic, you will find a team with all fields of Dentistry, completely available to plan and implement your entire treatment.
All dental specialists in the same space allow you, for example, to correct the position of your teeth while placing dental implants.
This allows you to improve your smile faster than you realize.
Rigour and detail
From your first appointment, your smile is built using the best technology.
Through the precision of the iTero® intraoral scanner, your entire smile is designed down to the smallest detail, allowing you to achieve the best result. And with accurate planning in ClinCheck® software, you can see the final result of your smile in 3D, even before treatment begins.
- Galan-Lopez, L., Barcia-Gonzalez, J., & Plasencia, E. (2019). A systematic review of the accuracy and efficiency of dental movements with Invisalign®. Korean journal of orthodontics, 49(3), 140–149. https://doi.org/10.4041/kjod.2019.49.3.140
- Lagravère, M. O., & Flores-Mir, C. (2005). The treatment effects of Invisalign orthodontic aligners: a systematic review. Journal of the American Dental Association (1939), 136(12), 1724–1729. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2005.0117
- Papadimitriou, A., Mousoulea, S., Gkantidis, N., & Kloukos, D. (2018). Clinical effectiveness of Invisalign® orthodontic treatment: a systematic review. Progress in orthodontics, 19(1), 37. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40510-018-0235-z
- Robertson, L., Kaur, H., Fagundes, N. C. F., Romanyk, D., Major, P., & Flores Mir, C. (2020). Effectiveness of clear aligner therapy for orthodontic treatment: A systematic review. Orthodontics & craniofacial research, 23(2), 133–142. https://doi.org/10.1111/ocr.12353
- Tamer, İ., Öztaş, E., & Marşan, G. (2019). Orthodontic Treatment with Clear Aligners and The Scientific Reality Behind Their Marketing: A Literature Review. Turkish journal of orthodontics, 32(4), 241–246. https://doi.org/10.5152/TurkJOrthod.2019.18083
- Weir T. (2017). Clear aligners in orthodontic treatment. Australian dental journal, 62 Suppl 1, 58–62. https://doi.org/10.1111/adj.12480 Rossini, G., Parrini, S., Castroflorio, T., Deregibus, A., & Debernardi, C. L. (2015). Efficacy of clear aligners in controlling orthodontic tooth movement: a systematic review. The Angle orthodontist, 85(5), 881–889. https://doi.org/10.2319/061614-436.1
- Ke, Y., Zhu, Y., & Zhu, M. (2019). A comparison of treatment effectiveness between clear aligner and fixed appliance therapies. BMC oral health, 19(1), 24. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-018-0695-z